Recipe: Chocolate Heart Cookies + Love, American Style


The title to this post may lead you to believe that my Valentine's Day was far more sexy than it actually was. But I'm not complaining. It was quite nostalgic and tasty.

Glamour's Gourmet On The Run, is the first cookbook that I bought for myself. I don't think that I've ever blogged any of the recipes, which is surprising to me because the chocolate heart cookies used to be one of my favorite things to bake. 

The only thing was that I didn't have a heart cookie cutter, so the cookies were never hearts. I just shaped the dough into balls and had round cookies. Last year, I did a post about heart cookie cutters for Valentine's Day and wondered why I didn't just get one. Soon after, I bought a heart cookie cutter.

Yesterday, I finally used it for the first time. I don't even remember the last time that I made this recipe and don't understand why either. It's been years. What I've been finding more and more in my life is that things happen in their own time.

What was also interesting about yesterday too was that I happened to find a Love, American Style marathon on Me-TV. I used to LOVE that show when I was a kid! The shows were very sweet and I liked how they were short snippets of life. These are some of the episodes that were on the marathon last night.

Love and the Elopement: Karen Valentine and Davy Jones
Love and the Pen Pals: Monte Markham and Diane Keaton
Love and the Housekeeper: Valerie Harper and Harry Guardino
Love and the Banned Book: Elizabeth Ashley and Burt Reynolds

Quite a few stars! It's always interesting to see a show as an adult that I hadn't seen since I was a child. I still think the shows were funny and well-done and wondered why the series hadn't been remade into a current show or movie.

A quick search revealed that last summer CBS bought a script for a new version of Love, American Style. Ironically written by Canadians. However, a pilot for this fall is not a done deal yet. We'll see. I'll be looking out!

For now, let me share my adapted version of the chocolate heart cookies. Definitely American style. You just might love them.
* * *
Chocolate Heart Cookies
(Makes about a dozen cookies)

INGREDIENTS:

1/4 cup softened Smart Balance (butter or margarine, etc.)
1/2 cup sugar
1 egg
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
1/4 cup cocoa powder
1 cup flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt

Powdered sugar set aside for dusting.

INSTRUCTIONS:

Heat oven to 375 degrees. Set aside cookie sheet.

Combine ingredients in a medium bowl. If the dough is too sticky, you can place it in the freezer for a few minutes. Roll out the dough to the thickness that you like. I prefer that these cookies be substantial, so the dough is fairly thick when I use the cookie cutter.

Put the cookie dough on the sheet and bake for about 12 minutes. Remove from the oven and sprinkle with powdered sugar. Let cool for a few minutes, then remove from cookie sheet. Eat and enjoy!


Anali's First Amendment © 2006-2014. All rights reserved.
This Post’s Link
Subscribe to blog posts. Follow me on Twitter.
Join me on Facebook.
Shopping on Amazon today? If so, please consider starting here and help support this blog.

Comments

Can-Can said…
Great looking cookies. I've been off flour and sugar for 6 weeks but yesterday indulged and treated myself to an apple crisp. Now I'm back on again until Easter.
I'd forgotten about Love, American Style. Pleasures are all around if we but reach out for them. Happy belated V-Day.
Lisa Johnson said…
cc - Thank you! Happy Belated Valentine's Day to you too! : )

Popular Posts