Win Visa Gift Cards, A FitBit Flex & FitBit Aria Scale!

Thank you UnitedHealthcare for sponsoring this Post!*


Staying healthy has become even more important to me as the years go by. I’m still looking to drop some pounds and making it more fun by adding a tip to the tip jar each time I exercise. It makes me surprisingly happy believe it or not!

While I do have a sweet tooth, I try to eat dessert in moderation and especially eat a lot of fruits (fresh and dried), vegetables and nuts too. My mom is a breast cancer survivor, many family members are on medications to control high blood pressure and diabetes, so I know there is a higher risk for me as well. Prevention is the best medicine and I’m always trying!


I’ve written here before about how I’m one of 59,000 black women who enrolled in the Black Women’s Health Study (BWHS) back in 1995. It’s the largest study yet of black women’s health and will be celebrating the 20th year in 2015 with a major report on their findings. I always look forward to the twice a year newsletter mailings with updates on the study and the latest news about health and wellness.

Their website also has information about studies relating to the impact of racism on obesity in African American women, how vigorous exercise is still a way to fight obesity and research about the question of hair relaxers being related to an increased risk for uterine fibroids.

While not related to the BWHS, something that I just learned about is a UnitedHealthcare website called Generations of Wellness. The focus is on improving the health outcomes of African Americans through educational campaigns using innovative and unique health tools.

I really like that there is a focus on family and health, because the two are so connected. I’ve learned things about generational health issues in my family over casual brunches talking to my aunts, uncles and cousins. Make the most of those family get-togethers!

+ + +

An educational campaign going on right now is the “Live Well Pass It On Fitness Questions Sweepstakes.”

The Sweepstakes runs through the end of July and is a good motivator to be more mindful of fitness and get your exercise routine in gear. So much of good health is just getting into the right mindset.

By visiting the Live Well Pass It On website, you can answer some easy health and wellness questions and be entered to win one of several $25 Visa gift cards and the Grand Prize of a FitBit Flex and a FitBit Aria Scale. You can enter the Sweepstakes once per day for the rest of the month.

Take a look at the Official Rules to learn more. The contest is open to most everyone as long as they are legal residents of the 50 United States who are eighteen (18) years or older, except for you must be at least nineteen (19) years or older in AL or NE.

Besides possibly winning these cool fitness gadgets and giftcards, the Generations of Wellness website also has fitness guides for workouts that you can download. The routines include music suggestions, so they are timed. Take a look at the workouts timed for: 10 minutes, 20 minutes and 30 minutes. I’m on week two on a four week to run a mile program and need to switch up my cross-training, so these might work out for me as well.

Also, you can find fitness videos by newlywed Darrin Henson, who you may know from the Showtime series Soul Food and the movie Stomp the Yard. Besides being an actor, he’s also a choreographer and dancer who worked with New Kids OnThe Block, Brandy, Salt N Pepa, 'N SYNC and Britney Spears.

Generations of Wellness has a lot to see. Remember to go to the website and enter to win!

+ + + 

*This post is brought to you in collaboration with UnitedHealthcare. Thank you for supporting the sponsors that allow me to create new and special content for Anali’s First Amendment.


Anali's First Amendment © 2006-2014. All rights reserved.
This Post’s Link
Subscribe to blog posts. Follow me on Twitter and Instagram
Join me on Facebook.
Shopping on Amazon today? If so, please consider starting here and help support this blog.

Comments

Esme said…
Thank you for this. May your mum continue to be a survivor and may you always be healthy.

xoxox E.
Lisa Johnson said…
Esme - Thank you! Both are such blessings!

Popular Posts