Samsara - The Film


Looking forward to seeing this film.

*Updated 5/19/2013* I really enjoyed this film. It shows such beauty from all over the planet. Some of the ugly too. The meat production facility scenes were my least favorite. I was definitely not expecting those. But I guess they are part of life.

In case you're wondering, the word SAMSARA refers to the repeating cycle of life in death. The sound of the word is beautiful and besides the amazing smell, that was part of what attracted me to the perfume Samsara . I wore it for quite a long time many years ago. years ago. However, the more I read about it, Samsara is not what we should seek or want.

My very limited understanding of Samsara, in terms of Buddhism is that desire causes suffering. In life, we all desire things, so until we gain enlightenment like the Buddha, we are trapped in the repeating cycle of life and death full of suffering. The goal is to break free of this cycle and gain Nirvana, so all karmic debts are settled and the cycle of life and death ends. Compassion, meditation, and mindfulness have their place in gaining enlightenment and ending the cycle. 

The movie has no words. It's just images and sound. As someone who meditates and practices mindfulness, it definitely felt very similar. Especially the use of the gong,  which signals the start and the end of a meditation session when I have been in group settings.

I definitely recommend the movie. It will take you to a more tranquil place and leave you thinking about this thing we call life on earth.

Anali's First Amendment © 2006-2013. All rights reserved.
This Post’s Link
Subscribe to blog posts. Follow me on Twitter. Join me on Facebook.
~ Amazon Store ~

Comments

Chris O said…
Hi Lisa, I think you will love this film. I gave it to my husband for Christmas last year although I did have to wait until it came out. It is well worth it. You might also like "Baraka" which is also beautiful.
Lisa Johnson said…
chris - Thanks for letting me know. I'm looking forward to it even more now! I have it, but haven't had the chance to watch it yet. Maybe this weekend.

Popular Posts