Made in America Christmas - Sterlingwear of Boston

Photos via Sterlingwear of Boston 

Last year I wrote a blog post about the coverage that ABC News gave to the idea of buying American products. It seemed so simple. So obvious. But it wasn't. So many of us in the United States weren't even paying attention to where the products that we bought were made. To the detriment of our economy and many jobs. Outsourcing happened right under our noses and we didn't seem to notice.

I also wrote a post about my successful attempt to buy an American made kitchen strainer. My blog stats have recently shown an increase in the number of people searching for American made kitchen strainers and landing on that post. By the way, I love the strainer, made by American Housewares and highly recommend it.

So this morning, I was watching one of my favorite television shows, CBS Sunday Morning, and saw two ads for Sterlingwear of Boston. I had never heard of them before and now I really wonder why. They have been the sole provider of the official U.S. Navy pea coat since 1965. Who knew? I love the pea coat styles and especially that orange one above!

They have locations in East Boston and Braintree, here in Massachusetts. Plus they have another location in Nashua, New Hampshire and employ over 250 people in the New England area. Sounds like a good place to support! They have some really nice coats, so I might make my way over to their Braintree store at some point, but you can order online as well.

This week ABC News is again focusing on buying products made in America. This time they will be discussing, of course Christmas shopping.  Below is an excerpt from their website.
The average American will spend almost $750 on holiday gifts and goodies this year, totaling more than $586 billion, the National Retail Federation estimates.If each of us spent just $66 on American-made goods during our holiday shopping, the result would be 200,000 new jobs.
Something to think about. Just spending $66.00 on gifts made in the United States could create almost a quarter of a million new jobs. Will you be looking at the labels more closely this season and trying to buy American?


Anali's First Amendment © 2006-2012. All rights reserved.
This Post’s Link
Subscribe to blog posts. Follow me on Twitter. Join me on Facebook.
Take a look at my Amazon Store for specially curated items.

Comments

Popular Posts