World Peace Cookies For Christmas



I'm all about trying new recipes and usually get bored very easily if I make the same thing repeatedly. But close to a year ago, the foundation of my cookie baking world was shaken. I learned about the World Peace Cookie. Read that post here.

Dorie Greenspan is famous for these cookies, although they were created by Pierre Herme. See her recently published recipe here. I don't have the cookbooks that first published the recipe, but I'd like to get them both.


Once you make these cookies, you'll always find another reason to make them. I've given them as gifts, brought them to work and over peoples' houses. These cookies are so appropriate for any occasion. I've made this cookie countless times and know that I will continue to do so. Most likely for the rest of my life. I really do. This is a cookie that I can commit to.

They may not be traditional Christmas cookies, but what is more Christmasy than hoping for world peace? So I'm submitting my version of the World Peace Cookie to Susan's Eat Christmas Cookies Event on her blog, Food Blogga.



If you clicked on the link above to when I first made these cookies, you'll see that my version makes some changes for time. Also, I started shipping these cookies to people in the mail. But when I made them, they were crumbly and breaking apart. I added the egg to help with binding and took away some of the butter. I made these cookies yesterday and brought them to work.



Because I wanted there to be enough for everyone, I used a teaspoon for the cookies. I was able to make 48 cookies. I didn't eat any cookie dough except for a little smudge left over at the very end. How's that for discipline? Normally, I would have used a tablespoon for a bigger cookie and eaten some cookie dough along the way.



My co-workers really seemed to like them. World Peace Cookies spread joy and cheer wherever they go! I hope you make them and see for yourself.

(Adapted from Dorie Greenspan)
World Peace Cookies - Impatient Version

1 1/4 cups flour
1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 cup butter = 1 stick (softened)
1 egg
2/3 cup light brown sugar
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 tsp. sea salt
1 tsp. vanilla extract
3/4 cup mini chocolate chips

In medium bowl, combine butter and sugars with wooden spoon. Stir in egg, vanilla, and cocoa powder until combined. Stir in salt, baking soda, and flour. Combine. Stir in chocolate chips. Depending upon the amount of cookies that you want, use a teaspoon or tablespoon to scoop out dough onto an ungreased cookie sheet. Bake at 325 degrees for about 12 minutes. Let cool on baking sheet before removing and cooling on a plate or wire rack. The cookies will break apart if not cooled first.


Anali's First Amendment © 2006-2007. All rights reserved.

This Post's Link

Comments

I think these are the ideal Christmas cookies, Anali. Simple-to-make, delicious to eat, and beautifully, symbolically named. Thanks for submitting them to Eat Christmas Cookies--they will be a lovely addition. Cheers, Susan
Katy said…
I've been hearing quite a bit about these cookies lately, I am definitely going to have to try them!
Lisa Johnson said…
susan - You're welcome and thank you for this wonderful event!

katy - Welcome! Thanks for dropping by. You must bake these cookies! Life will never be the same. ; )

Popular Posts