Mondrian Style

Flickr photo by Defining The Capture
The old saying, "curiosity killed the cat" never sat right with me. I've always been curious. As a kid, I loved the Curious George books. Curiosity is how we learn. If anything, I've become more curious as I've gotten older. Curiosity is partly responsible for my blogging.

Curiosity is responsible for this post. I'm a huge art fan in general and especially love modern art. Back in March, I read about modern art manicures. One of the artists mentioned whose work was replicated as a manicure was Piet Mondrian or Mondriaan before he changed the spelling to have just one a. Could manicures invoke copyright issues? What about cakes? I wonder. But I digress. Sort of.

I liked the Mondrian designs, but didn't think much more about him, because other artists were included. A few weeks later, I saw a Mondrian Cake.

Well, you know me. Cake will get my attention every time. This video promotes the cookbook Modern Art Desserts that shows you how to bake a Mondrian Cake. Pretty sweet.

Soon after, I saw vintage Mondrian-style bathing suits. Okay. A manicure. Cake. Bathing suits. All Mondrian-style in the span of about six weeks. There seems to be a trend here.

Is what's old new again and Mondrian-style is back in full force?  Or am I just now noticing everything Mondrian that was there before and escaped my attention?

I'm not sure, but I'm suddenly very curious about Piet Mondrian, so I did some searching. I found these quotes below.
"The emotion of beauty is always obscured by the appearance of the object. Therefore, the object must be eliminated from the picture." 

"To approach the spiritual in art, one will make as little use as possible of reality, because reality is opposed to the spiritual."
The photograph above, which is just a reflection, shows the simple use of basic colors and lines to evoke an emotion. It feels very warm and joyful to me. There's not much there, but I definitely feel drawn to it. No pun intended. Well, maybe a little intended.

Many others are drawn to Mondrian's work as well. His influence spans centuries and seems to be growing.

A bike. Forget the Rubik's Cube. Look at the Mondrian Cube. A group Halloween costume. Even an art lesson plan for kids. And fashion. Especially fashion. This Mondrian-style Yves Saint Lauren dress is timeless. I would wear it in a heartbeat.

During my Mondrian research, I also learned about a bag. A very special bag. If you fall into my dream world and find one of these bags at a yard sale, snatch it and get it appraised toute de suite! Although In my dream world, I'd have to get one too!

From Christie's website, below is the scoop on the Mondrian-style bag.
"And then there are the lesser-known Herm̬s bags that don't have specific names, but which only these enthusiasts would recognise Рultra-rare bags like the 1930s Lola Prusac-designed styles and the hallowed Mondrian-inspired tote Рthat sell for astronomical prices."
Would I know one if I saw it? I don't know. One can always dream....


Anali's First Amendment © 2006-2013. All rights reserved.
This Post’s Link
Subscribe to blog posts. Follow me on Twitter. Join me on Facebook.
Shopping on Amazon today? Please consider starting here and help support this blog.

Comments

Chris O said…
Love the photo!!! Definitely Mondrian! Great post!
Lisa Johnson said…
chris - Thank you! : )

Popular Posts