Chimamanda Adichie: The danger of a single story



My Aunt J sent me this video recently and I just had a chance to watch it tonight. I'm so glad that I did!

It's about twenty minutes and well worth the time. The speaker Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie most eloquently discusses what it means to be authentic and how that authenticity may be perceived by others who only know one story.

In the video, Adichie says that the consequence of a single story is that it robs people of their dignity and emphasizes the differences between people instead of the similarities.

That really made me think about one of the reasons that I created this blog. I wanted to add to the stories of what it means to be: a woman, black, African-American, American, an attorney, a writer, someone who lives in Massachusetts, and born-in-Boston. Mine may be a very small story, but it's one more story. And that counts for something. What's your story?


Anali's First Amendment © 2006-2010. All rights reserved.

This Post’s Link

Like what you see? Subscribe to this blog by clicking here.

Comments

Popular Posts