Nancy Pelosi Chocolate Ice Cream


When I've been thinking about a post for a long time, I have that same excited feeling that I felt as a child on Christmas Eve. I've been thinking about this recipe for a long time, then searched for some interesting tidbits of information to go with it. One day I was reading about some blog events coming up and thought it would be fun to try Meeta's What's For Lunch Honey (WFLH) Monthly Mingle. It's my first time entering a submission to her event, so this is adding to my nervous excitement. I hope everyone likes it!

The theme for the July Mingle is ice cream. I've been thinking about a new chocolate ice cream flavor since watching Jay Leno interview House Speaker Nancy Pelosi a few months ago. I'm a night owl, so I often tune in to The Tonight Show. I was really happy to hear that he would be interviewing our new Speaker of the House. I was so happy on election night when I heard that the Democrats had taken over the House and that Nancy Pelosi would be the first woman Speaker. And some of you may remember my post pondering her luncheon with the President.


In the interview with Jay Leno, Speaker Pelosi revealed her love for chocolate and that she eats chocolate ice cream almost everyday! I had a whole new respect for this woman! I was inspired to make chocolate ice cream that would be chocolaty enough for her! My mission was cast and I've been hard at work planning ever since.

Now as much as I admire Speaker Pelosi, I was very unhappy to hear that as far as she was concerned, impeachment of President Bush was "off the table." I read a very interesting article recently discussing the "I" word. But I'll get back to what most of us can agree is great on the table - chocolate ice cream.

I must warn you about this recipe. It's really chocolaty, maybe even too chocolaty. The next time that I make it, I plan to use just one* bar of chocolate instead of two, but try it for yourself and see. I adapted the recipe here from cdkitchen.


Nancy Pelosi Chocolate Ice Cream
(makes about 1 quart)

1/2 cup cocoa powder
1 cup vanilla rice milk
2 large eggs
1 cup sugar
1 cup Half & Half
1 tsp. vanilla
1 pinch sea salt

Set aside two* good quality bittersweet chocolate bars. I used Green & Black's Organic.

1. In a large microwaveable bowl, add the cocoa powder and rice milk. Use a large sturdy whisk to quickly combine. Microwave chocolate and milk for about one minute. Whisk until smooth.

2. In separate bowl, whisk together eggs. Add eggs to chocolate mixture and whisk until smooth. Whisk in remaining ingredients, except for chocolate bars.

3. Pour mixture into ice cream maker. Follow ice cream maker instructions.

4. Break chocolate bars into pieces and pulse in mini-chopper.




5. When ice cream is finished, after about an hour, pour into container that can be stored in freezer. Stir in the chopped chocolate pieces. Ice cream is best if frozen for at least 12 hours.



Anali's First Amendment © 2006-2007. All rights reserved.

Comments

karrie said…
Can anything really be too chocolatey? It sounds really wonderful. Thankfully I have no idea where our icecream maker is. :)
Nance said…
Too chocolatey? On what planet is THAT possible? An ice cream maker has been on my List of Possible Purchases for some time now. This might just be the tipping point.
Tera said…
I'm not too big on chocolate, I've never been for some odd reason!
Mizrepresent said…
OMG, that's look so delightful! YUM, and i just love how you tie in current affairs with yummy food. Nice job!
Cynthia said…
I don't think that the chocoholics would complain about the ice cream having too much chocolate.

Looking forward to seeing you at the mingle.
Jeseem said…
wow...
this is really... really... really... good.
KAYLEE said…
"Too chocolatey? On what planet is THAT possible?"

I agree with nance here...I LOVE chocolate..thats looks good may have to try it:)
wheresmymind said…
I wasn't too surprised that they wouldn't try to impeach Georgie...not like he was caught with an intern or anything...I mean..we have to get our priorities straight ;)
Anonymous said…
Stephen Colbert made an interesting connection to why Bush cannot (should not) be impeached: President Cheney. I have to confess, much as I dislike Bush he's better than a President Cheney! The evil you know I guess.

I LOVE chocolate ice cream. Love, love, love. And these photos of yours are so tempting. :)


Ari (Baking and Books)
Sai said…
I love the photos and the recipe.
I love chocolate but I am not too big on choc ice cream. I might make this chocolatey and then probably have one scoop of this with another scoop of vanilla....my fav combination!

Happy fourth.
FH said…
Happy 4th to you Anali.Ice Cream looks fabulous.I missed this event this time but there is always another coming!:))
Enjoy.Chocolate Ice cream is my son's fav.
Lisa Johnson said…
karrie - You might just find it though!

nance - I hope you get one! It's really a fun thing to have. It's such a luxury item, albeit a highly caloric one!

tera - I love it, but I guess in small doses!

mizrepresent - Thank you for appreciating that! ; )

cynthia - I'll look for you there too!

jeseem - Thank you!
Lisa Johnson said…
kaylee - Well, I guess most people will prefer to keep the recipe just the way it is then! ; )

wheresmymind - So sad! : (

ari - They both need to be impeached! I'm so glad you like the ice cream!

sai - That's a great idea to pair it with a scoop of vanilla! I might try that next time!

asha - Happy 4th to you too! I'm sure you're enjoying some great food wherever you are today!
amisha said…
oh my goodness... this sounds like *heaven*!! i have not yet made a successful batch of custard-based ice cream in my maker (well, i've only tried once, with strawberry) but i want to give it another go. the first one had a super-icy consistency and i am hoping for creamy... and chocolatey :) i don't think you can have too much chocolate either!
Lisa Johnson said…
amisha - I think you'll really like this one and it's so easy!

Popular Posts