Yes. I Went to Marine Science Camp.


Astrology says that I'm firmly an earth sign. However, biology may reveal a trace of sea water in my veins.

I've always been drawn to the water. These pictures are circa the summer of 1978. Disco was hot and I was swimming with the fishes. But in a good way.

When I was working on my recent Throwback Thursday post, I noticed some very old pictures that I took when I was at Briarwood Marine Science Camp. I remember having a great time and the beauty of Cape Cod. Unfortunately, I don't remember anything particularly scientific.

I asked my mother how I happened to go there. She said that she wanted me to have a camping experience and I refused to go to the traditional camps that she had suggested.

I was interested in science and loved the ocean, so she found Briarwood. It wasn't really camping, because as I recall, we stayed in a mansion and had really good food. It looks like the camp is still around and I found a brief description of it.

The Briarwood Marine Science Program, for boys and girls entering grades five through ten, brings life to Environmental Science through the non-invasive study of the habitats, niches and ecosystems of Cape Cod's animals and plants. Horseshoe crabs, sea stars, eelgrass, and periwinkles will be your classmates as we take to the water in our investigation of shore ecosystems surrounding the marine center. The one-week program takes place on the shore of Little Bay in Monument Beach at a facility overlooking Toby Island and the entrance to the Cape Cod Canal.
A lot has changed since 1978. I grew up. I don't eat meat anymore and eat even more seafood. We know that our oceans and sea life must be preserved. We hear about sustainable fish all the time, but may be confused about what it really means.

Cape Cod Fish Share is a Community-Supported Fishery (CSF) that allows consumers to buy seafood directly from Cape Cod's local waters. I was shocked to read on FishWatch that 91% of seafood consumed in the United States is imported.

Purchasing seafood through a CSF is a great way to support local fishermen (fisherwomen too) and our local economy. It also allows consumers to know if the seafood was sustainably caught. The Cape Cod Fish Share website states that it offers many types of fish that cannot be purchased at supermarkets. Fish are line-caught, locally-trawled and there is no waste. What is left over is returned as bait.

Natural Resources Defense Council gives us a bit more information about what to look for in terms of how fish are caught. See an edited excerpt from their website below.
Good - Hook and line: This low-impact method of fishing does no damage to the seafloor and lets fishermen throw back unwanted species, usually in time for them to live. Pots and traps: Intelligently designed traps have doors that allow young fish to escape. Skilled fishermen can lay pots so that they have minimal impact on the seafloor.

MixedMidwater trawlers: These boats drag giant nets below the surface and can unintentionally catch significant numbers of forage fish, sea turtles, dolphins and even whales. They do cause less habitat damage than bottom trawlers because the nets generally avoid the ocean floor.
This Sunday, I will be attending Seafood Expo North America (SENA)in Boston. It's the largest seafood trade event in North America and should be very informative. The Global Aquaculture Alliance is sponsoring the 4th Annual iPura Tweet & Blogfest, which I am participating in by writing about sustainability. This is the first of several posts about the issue.

Hopefully you're interested in learning more about the topic and will enjoy the posts. Have a great weekend!

+ + +
Disclosure: I received press credentials for complimentary admission to SENA.

Anali's First Amendment © 2006-2014. All rights reserved.
This Post’s Link

Comments

Popular Posts