Sunday in Boston: SoWa Market + Plant Swap


This past Sunday, I finally made my way over to the SoWa Open Market in Boston's South End. SoWa is short for South of Washington Street.This past winter I had planned to visit the SoWa Vintage Market, which is inside the brick gallery building, but I never made it. Hopefully, I'll get over there soon.

With summer allegedly on the way, allegedly because it's rather chilly here at the moment, the Farmers' Market is back for the season.  For the first time, they tried something new and had a plant swap. I always have plants to swap and love getting new ones, so I decided that I would make sure to get there.

Earlier on Sunday, it was sunny and warm. By the time I got to the market, it was windy and cold. Luckily I brought a heavy sweater with me and put it on after just a few minutes.

By the way, here are a few travel tips on getting to the SoWa Market. If you're taking the T, the Silver Line will bring you to Union Park Station, which will be a short walk. In case you haven't taken the Silver Line, it's a bus not a subway train. The SL5 will take you to the corner of Union Park and Washington Street.

I drove, because it would be quicker. Because it was Sunday, meter parking is free. There is a lot of traffic in that area and parking spaces are hard to come by. I arrived later in the afternoon, so probably missed even more congestion earlier. After circling the area a few times, I got a metered parking space on Washington Street and walked over. There was parking for $5.00 available also.


Back to the plant swap. It was fairly small, but I hope they do it again. Apparently it was just supposed to be once, but I'm not sure that many people knew about it. Maybe if they did it every other week or once a month, it might get a lot more participation. I swapped my Crown of Thorns plant, which I often give as cuttings to people. It has beautiful flowers and is very easy to grow. I don't have a garden, but have many indoor plants.

In return for my plant, I got a chives plant. It's beautiful and the flowers are blooming. It also smells very oniony. I'd love to use the leaves. Chives are delicious, but I'm wondering about eating it, because I know nothing about how it was grown. For now, I'll just enjoy looking at the blooms. 


The market area itself is pretty small, but I did walk around a bit. I took a honey taste test from Golden Rule Honey. Depending upon where the honey is from, it really does have a different flavor when you do a side by side comparison.



There was a table from Cape Cod Fish Share, which is a Community Supported Fishery (CSF). There is a 3-week sample share option for $149.00, which seems like a great way to try out their fresh fish offerings.


They have several locations where you can pick up your share. I asked if they had a Quincy location and was told that they are speaking with Good Health Natural Foods. I hope that works out!


A local coffee roaster is selling these tote bags made by his partner. Aren't they cute? I love them and hope to get one when I go back. Hopefully soon!


Anali's First Amendment © 2006-2013. All rights reserved.
This Post’s Link
Subscribe to blog posts. Follow me on Twitter.
Join me on Facebook.
Shopping on Amazon today? Please consider starting here and help this blog.

Comments

Nance said…
You can always repot your chives in fresh soil and even divide them. They'll be fine. Chives are hardy, and they grow everywhere. I can understand if you are concerned about pesticides or inorganic fertilizer, but repotting it will dilute that effect. Once you repot, cut the existing chives way down--they love that--and soon they'll shoot right back up.

I use mine on baked potatoes, in salads, in omelets, in egg salad; use them anywhere you like a light oniony taste. The blooms are completely edible, of course, and look great tossed on top of a salad or any savoury dish.
Lisa Johnson said…
nance - Thank you so much for this! I was wondering, but really not sure. I'll do this and keep some here and give some to my mom to plant in her garden.

Popular Posts