Fried Apples + Sweet Thoughts


On Christmas morning, my mother made fried apples. Since then, I've been making them too. My mom fried the apples in butter with cinnamon, ginger and sugar. I use Smart Balance instead of butter and didn't add any sugar. The apples are sweet enough on their own. 

I can't picture myself as someone who can completely cut sugar from their diet, because I love dessert too much. But if I don't really need it, I've been trying to reduce the amount of sugar in recipes or not adding it at all. I just learned that maple syrup is far more healthy than I realized. So I may be using it as a substitute more often.

Today is my mother's birthday, so I'm getting ready to bake her cake. There will be plenty of sugar later. While the cake is in the oven, I'm going to try and fit in some time on the treadmill, so a little less damage will be done.

My baby cousin, who is now a 19-year-old young lady, came over for lunch yesterday and we worked on her resume. It was a really nice afternoon and I enjoyed having time to talk with her.

At many family gatherings, sometimes there are too many people to have real conversations with any one person. So they are more surface level conversations with a bunch of people. Which is still fun and good, but that's not how you get to know someone really well and learn what's happening in their life and how they feel about things.

We also shared the Single Serving Chocolate Chip Cookies and a Nutella Chocolate Mug Cake. I was really happy that she liked them and asked for the recipes.

This has been a nice weekend. What have you been up to?

Anali's First Amendment © 2006-2013. All rights reserved.
This Post’s Link
Subscribe to blog posts. Follow me on Twitter. Join me on Facebook.
~ Amazon Store ~

Comments

I couldn't completely give up sweets either but on special occasions I can enjoy them all the more.
Lisa Johnson said…
bellini - I definitely enjoyed much cake and ice cream! : )
Nance said…
I read that if you give up sugar, you'll find that you simply don't miss it or want it in a short while. I think it was two weeks.

It sounds simple when you just say so, but I cannot imagine it. I use sugar in my morning coffee. And honey, maple syrup, etc., are still sugars, just in a different form. I like a little chocolate now and then, so I can't just give up sugar, only cut back. I do know that once there is candy in the house, and I've eaten some, I do crave it. And I'm glad when it's gone and I don't have its temptation. Sugar is like a drug!
Lisa Johnson said…
nance - Sugar is like a drug! I'm trying to reduce the amount I put in coffee right now. I figure even reducing by one teaspoon over a year will make a difference.

Popular Posts