Strawberry Yogurt Cake


The other day, I happened upon a recipe for Strawberry Basil Yogurt Cake. It sounded quite good and very original.

Basil and strawberries are two ingredients that I would not think of using together. But the more I thought about them, the more I thought that they would work. And I had planned to stop at the Farmers Market to get some fresh basil.

Well this week has had some major ups and downs and I didn't make it over in time. But I still had strawberries and yogurt. Plus G's sweet tooth was in overdrive. After all that he's been through the past few days, he deserved a treat. So did I.

Due to the lack of shopping being done in this household, besides not having basil, I didn't have enough white sugar. I never rarely have cream and I decided not to use any lemon juice or lemon zest. I just barely had enough eggs.

Instead of cream, I used vanilla almond milk. I added in a teaspoon of almond extract just for kicks. I used one firmly packed cup of brown sugar instead of one and a third cups of white sugar. I always usually use Smart Balance instead of butter and because I noticed that it seems to have some salt, I reduced the amount of salt to a half a teaspoon. I ended up using probably close to one and a quarter cups of vanilla Greek yogurt instead of just one. I didn't have turbinado sugar either, so I didn't sprinkle it over the top.

I set the timer for 35 minutes, but then baked it for ten more minutes, then ten more minutes. So the real baking time was close to an hour. After baking, I sprinkled the top with powdered sugar.

What a great cake! G said that it reminded him of something that he'd get in a French bakery. Well, I baked it on Julia's birthday,so I guess that would be quite fitting. I'll definitely be making this cake again. Find the original recipe here.


Anali's First Amendment © 2006-2012. All rights reserved.
This Post’s Link
Subscribe to blog posts. Follow me on Twitter. Join me on Facebook.
Shopping on Amazon today? Please consider starting here and help this blog.

Comments

Chris O said…
Lisa, from now on every time I drop by your blog, I'm going to have a fork in my hand!!! HA! This looks soooo gooood! I love reading about all the great food you eat and the places in and around Boston.
Lisa Johnson said…
chris - LOL! I guess I'm doing my "job" right! : )

Popular Posts