Recipe: Spiced Rum Peach Mini Pies


Since tasting my first peach of the season and after baking a blueberry pie, I knew that I'd be making peach pie as well. It was just a matter of time.

Well, that time was a couple of weeks ago, but today I'm just getting around to writing up this post. Unfortunately, last week was most definitely not a peach of a week in a whole manner of ways.

But memories of these mini peach pies of the past and dreams of future peach pies keep a smile on my face. We have to muddle through it all and keep going right? Nobody ever said that life would be peaches and cream all the time.

The inspiration for these mini pies started back in June with my visit to Turkey Shore Distilleries and getting some of their spiced rum. The inspiration continued when I was reading the blog Smitten Kitchen and found this recipe for Bourbon Peach Hand Pies.

All this pie creativity reminds me of Waitress. If you love creating new pies, you'll probably love this movie. But I digress. Back to the pie.

I didn't have two pounds of peaches, just three peaches, and knew that I'd have to finesse her recipe. I wasn't going to use bourbon; instead I'd use spiced rum.

Further, I didn't want to use her crust recipe, because I loved the crust recipe that I used for the blueberry pie. I adapted the recipe from Dorie Greenspan's book Baking (page 442). You can whip up this crust in about ten minutes. So simple! I recommend this book with everything that I've got. If you love to bake and you can only have one cookbook, this is the one.

The mini pie part was because I didn't have the patience for forming hand pies and I remembered seeing mini pies that I thought were adorable. Using a muffin pan with liners, it's very easy and cute at the same time.

Here's the recipe below.

Spiced Rum Peach Mini Pies
(makes 12)

Pastry
Ingredients:
  • 1 1/2cups flour
  • 1 stick Smart Balance (butter or margarine) (cold and cut up in small pieces)
  • 1/4 cup ice water
  • scant 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 2 T sugar
Instructions:
I only have a mini food processor, but the size is just right for this recipe. Pour the flour, salt, and sugar in the processor and pulse for a few seconds to combine. Add the pieces of Smart Balance or butter, etc. Make sure the pieces are cold. Pulse until the flour starts to clump up. Add the ice water and pulse until you have dough. It happens surprisingly fast. Take out the dough. Wrap in plastic and stick in the freezer until you make the filling.

Filling
Ingredients:
  • 3 medium to large peaches  (peeled and cut into small pieces)
  • 2 tsp. spiced rum
  • 1/4 tsp. vanilla extract
  • 2 T honey
  • 2 T brown sugar
  • scant 1/4 tsp. salt
  • 3 T flour
Instructions:
Combine ingredients in a medium bowl. Take the dough out of the freezer and divide into 12 same size pieces. Roll out each piece into a circle and then place in the lined muffin pan. Use your hands to form little pie crusts in the liners. Pour filling into each of the mini pie crusts.

Bake at 375 degrees for about 20 - 25 minutes. Cool just a bit, then serve with vanilla ice cream or top with whipped cream. We had one of my favorites, Elan vanilla frozen yogurt, which is made by Brigham's Ice Cream.


These pies were gobbled up quickly. I hope you give them a try.


Anali's First Amendment © 2006-2012. All rights reserved.
This Post’s Link
Subscribe to blog posts. Follow me on Twitter. Join me on Facebook.
Find me on Instagram: @analisfirstamendment

Comments

Popular Posts