Natural Mosquito Repellent: Vanilla + Lavender

Here in Massachusetts and generally all over the United States, West Nile Virus and EEE is big news.

We are all being warned to protect against mosquitoes, because they spread these two illnesses. So many are trying find ways to keep from being bitten. I am not a medical doctor and do not claim to know the best repellents to use. Please consult a doctor if you have any questions.

A CDC Fact Sheet says that when you're outside to use "insect repellent containing an EPA-registered active ingredient." This Massachusetts Department of Public Health website page states that repellents containing DEET work work well against mosquitoes.

However, I just read an article in Hannaford's fresh magazine (p. 14) that lavender and vanilla extract might help to keep mosquitoes away naturally.

As someone who loves to bake, I always have vanilla extract at home and love the scent. The scent of lavender is one of my favorite things and I have the essential oil on hand too.

The article says to dab some vanilla extract on your pulse points or do the same with lavender essential oil. I may just try it. Have any of you? Did it work?


Anali's First Amendment © 2006-2012. All rights reserved.
This Post’s Link
Subscribe to blog posts. Follow me on Twitter. Join me on Facebook.
Find me on Instagram: @analisfirstamendment

Comments

Popular Posts