SOLSTICE: The Newsletter



Happy Solstice! As the first day of summer and a generally nice sounding word, I could not think of a better name than SOLSTICE for my newsletter.

The word solstice is derived from sol (sun) and sistere (to stand still) and means sun standing. For me, the word brings to mind feelings of hope, warmth, comfort, balance, enlightenment, and harmony with nature. I hope the word brings positive images and feelings to all of you as well.

One of the reasons that I decided to write a newsletter is that I have so many ideas for things to write about that I don't have enough outlets for all of them. Some I thought might eventually work on this blog, but they just never did.

SOLSTICE is a free once a month subscription digital newsletter that will debut on July 1, 2010. It will be emailed on the 1st of every month after that. We'll see how it goes. A few people have subscribed already. Thank you!

SOLSTICE is an extension of this blog, but it will be all new material. There will be little if any repetition between what I write about here and the newsletter. You'll have to subscribe to see what's new!

I've created a basic format for the contents that will be a joy for me to research and write. Hopefully it will be just as much fun for you to read. Here's an outline below.

*  *  *

{EAT} My philosophy is that everyone can cook and bake from scratch. While these won't be my recipes, I'll share simple recipes that I find online.

{LEARN} We are a nation of laws. The legislative process fascinates me. At any given time, there is a great deal of pending legislation around the country which could impact many of us. But how many of us find out about it? Maybe if we had some of this information, more of us would participate in the process and contact our local, state, and federal representatives. I'll share information with you here.

{COMFORT} I'm convinced that candles, fresh flowers, plants, and pillows can make just about anyplace feel like home. I'll be on the lookout for these and other products for the home that look good and are produced by individuals and companies with a focus on social and environmental awareness.

{KARMA} It always lifts my spirits to learn about organizations working for the greater good. As I learn about small organizations or even bigger companies doing something to make the world a better place, I'll share it. Maybe some of us can help by donating or volunteering our time. If you know of a place that you'd like mentioned, please send me an email and let me know. I can't promise a mention, but all suggestions will be considered.

{PLAYING DOROTHY} Dorothy in the Wizard of Oz learned that there is no place like home. While we often take where we live for granted, most of us live in a city or town where others would love to visit or at least learn more about. What do you do on a typical day or weekend that a tourist might want to know about? I'll share interesting places and stories that I see online. I'd love your participation. Please send an email and show me how you play Dorothy in your hometown. Again, I cannot promise that all submissions will be used, but they will be considered.

Plus any other news that I may have to share with you may be included in SOLSTICE and could be posted on the blog as well.

I'm really looking forward to this new creative adventure and hope that you will join me! The first issue will be out on July 1st!

Many thanks to Victor Merritt of Visual Images & Concepts for the logo design.

*Updated 12/1/2010* SOLSTICE has been discontinued. Thank you to all who subscribed!

Anali's First Amendment © 2006-2010. All rights reserved.
This Post’s Link
Like what you see? Subscribe to this blog by clicking here.

Comments

Popular Posts