Harbinger Of Spring?

As I was washing this morning's dishes, I saw a flash of red out the corner of my eye.

I turned towards the window and saw a bird. A beautiful red bird!

I grabbed my camera and got two shots before it flew away. This was the best one. It looks like a Cardinal, but I'm no bird expert.

The past few days have been rather warm. In the 40's. And the snow is mostly all melted. That's quite all right with me.


Anali's First Amendment © 2006-2010. All rights reserved.

This Post’s Link

Like what you see? Subscribe to this blog by clicking here.

Comments

Anonymous said…
A family of cardinals has been around my backyard all winter long! I think a neighbor has a feeder setup so they don't migrate South. I live in South Boston.
Tracy said…
Oh, yes, that is a cardinal... a male cardinal! Isn't he beautiful! Just love the sight of these feathered-friends against a backdrop of snow. We don't have cardinals here, and I miss the sight of familiar birds back home there. Of course, the birds here are special too. ;o) Hope you're having a great weekend, Anali... enjoy the view from you window! ((HUGS))
Lisa Johnson said…
anonymous - That's great that you have a whole family around. What a pretty sight that must be!

And now that I think of it, I probably have seen them in the winter. Oh well. I guess I'm grasping at straws for signs of Spring!

tracy - Thanks for more insight! I wasn't even thinking about the gender, but the male birds usually do have the prettiest plumage. I'm looking for him again. Maybe he has a family.
Anonymous said…
Sadly, you're definitely grasping at straws of Spring. Cardinals don't migrate south. They hang out here all winter. If you find a Robin, now THAT would be a good sign of Spring. but then again, with global warming, they probably don't need to leave anymore. (FWIW, here's a site about cardinals http://animals.nationalgeographic.com/animals/birds/cardinal/)
Lisa Johnson said…
anonymous - I'll be on the lookout for Robins! Thanks for the link. I didn't realize that they have so many songs!

Popular Posts