Turkey Leftovers: Curried Pesto With Turkey & Radiatori


Around blogland, I’ve seen lots of recipes involving turkey leftovers. A curried turkey salad in particular caught my eye. If the weather weren’t so cold, I might have tried it. But at this point in the season, my preference is for warm foods. I’m pretty much trying to stay warm from now through June, so cold food doesn’t help. Although today is freakishly warm. I started this post last night and it was in the 40's. Right now it's 69 degrees. Today will be a great day for a nice walk.

I also saw a turkey apple pot pie recipe that I'd like to try. And here's a gluten free turkey pot pie recipe to try too. But I liked the idea of curry and turkey, so I figured I could add some pasta. Radiatori is my favorite pasta. Not only is it pretty and looks like ruffles, but it’s good at holding onto the sauce as well. I’ve seen it spelled both radiatore and radiatori. For now, I’ll use the i.


Apparently the word is Italian for radiator. And they do look kind of like mini radiators. Which I find to be rather quaint. My radiators were steaming and clanging when I started this post last night.

I wasn’t sure how I would make a curry sauce and remembered that I had some Trader Joe’s pesto sauce. Now I’m the first person to complain when I read a cake recipe that calls for a box of cake mix. That just infuriates me! So I have to admit this recipe is a bit fake. I wimped out and used store bought pesto. But I do love Trader Joe's sauces!

I have made pesto myself and it's quite easy. So if you want to be a better person than I... : ) Here are some pesto recipes that you can use too.

While I was cooking, I didn’t write this recipe down, so I’m doing my best to reconstruct what I did. I just started chopping things and throwing them together. And it worked! I loved this dish! One of the reasons I wanted to blog this recipe, is to document it so I can make it again.

A few years ago, I made a dish that I enjoyed so much that I never thought I would forget it. I kept planning to make it or write it down. I did neither, so to this day I have no idea what I made. All I know is that I won’t make that mistake again. I don't have leftover turkey that often, but this would work fine with chicken too and I will be making it again.

This recipe is very loose and the amounts are approximations. I hope you try it and let me know what you think.

Curried Pesto with Turkey & Radiatori

9 oz uncooked radiatori pasta
1 cup basil pesto
1 cup apple cider
1 small sweet onion (chopped)
1/2 cup raisins
2 T curry powder
1 1/2 cups chopped cooked turkey

Add a bit of oil to a large sauté pan. I have a gas stove and I put the flame to medium high. Add in the chopped onions. After about 5-10 minutes, add the apple cider and stir. Let the cider cook down a bit and start absorbing into the onions. Stir in the pesto and the raisins. Add more cider if the sauce is too thick. Stir in curry powder.

Boil water and cook pasta as usual, then rinse, drain, and set aside.

In a small sauté pan, add a bit of oil and brown the turkey. Keep stirring, so the pieces don't stick. Add the turkey to the sauce. Add the radiatori and combine well. Enjoy!


Anali's First Amendment © 2006-2009. All rights reserved.

This Post’s Link

Like what you see? Subscribe to this blog by clicking here.

Comments

Mmmm, this looks really good. Was just looking for something to do with all that left over turkey. Thanks! Saw you on SITS.

Alex
Cristin said…
Stopping by from SITS! Looks like something Hubby would LOVE!

(psssst... we're neighbors... I'm on South Shore too.)
SE'LAH... said…
i love pesto, especially homemade. yum.
I've never heard of that pasta before. Too funny. I'll have to invent my own gluten-free version. :-) So far, we only have the basic varieties of pasta in gluten-free forms.

Sounds like a yummy meal and definitely a different way to enjoy one's turkey leftovers. Thanks for the link up!

Oh, I really like your inner child ... so cute and sweet (you haven't changed at all, my dear!)! This is definitely the time of year for one's inner child to appear. :-)

Shirley
Lisa Johnson said…
alex - Welcome! Let me know if you try it!

cristin - Thanks for stopping by neighbor!

se'lah - It is yummy isn't it?

gfe - Hey Shirley! I'll be looking for the gf version on your blog! ; )
Anonymous said…
Mmmm that looks tasty!
Jackie said…
Such a creative pasta dish! I never would've thought of combining pesto with the sweeter ingredients and curry powder, but it makes sense here. Will have to try this sometime.
Lisa Johnson said…
marfmom - Welcome! Thanks!

jackie - Let me know if you try it!
MaskedChicken said…
Where do you find radiatore around Boston? I can never seem to find it here.
Lisa Johnson said…
ransom - Thanks for stopping by! I live in Quincy and do most of my shopping at Stop & Shop and Hannaford. There's so much pasta in that aisle, that it's easy not to notice it. But if you look around, you'll see it. I usually buy the store brands, but they have the name brands too.

Trader Joe's probably has it too, but I'm not sure if I've bought any there. Also, you might check out the North End. I'm sure you can find it there. Maybe even fresh! Best of luck shopping! ; )

Popular Posts