DIY Hostess Recipes: A Roundup

Flickr photo via Christian Cable
By now, you've heard that Hostess Brands is closed.  Their website now says, "We are sorry to announce that Hostess Brands, Inc. has been forced by a Bakers Union strike to shut down all operations and sell all company assets."

They have a different website now with ongoing information related to Hostess mediation and further winding down. It appears that the attempted mediation today fell through. It's such a shame that so many people will be losing their jobs.

It's also rather cruel that the company's shutting down is being blamed on the Bakers Union strike. On the news a few nights ago, I saw a man nearly in tears. He said that he was on strike because he hadn't gotten a raise since the 1990's. That's outrageous.

Especially after I read an article stating that the union members were aware that as the company was having financial problems, the then CEO of Hostess received a sizeable raise. He went from earning approximately $750,000 to $2,550,000. Apparently several other top executives received massive raises as well.

It's truly Dickensian. Blame the workers who baked our beloved confections all those years. They drove the goodies to the stores, then they lose their jobs right before Thanksgiving. Take a look at the union website for more information about the strike.

But I digress. The plan for this post was a just a nice roundup of DIY Hostess recipes. But it would be impossible for me to write this post without expressing my feelings about all that I've read about how the workers have been mistreated and the greed of the executives.

I used to love Ring Dings and Devil Dogs back in my high school days. In my junior and senior years of high school, I probably didn't go more than two days in a row without eating a Ring Ding. And the Orange Cupcakes. Sweet memories. Those were a guilty pleasure way past high school. I last had one maybe two or three years ago. Probably not one natural ingredient in them, but damn they were tasty.

Well, I've rounded up a few links to recipes that might substitute some of our old favorites. I haven't tried these recipes yet. But most likely I eventually will. I hope you enjoy them and find this a handy guide!
+ + + + + +

Orange Cupcakes

DIY Hostess Orange Cupcakes - Tish Boyle  

Twinkies

DIY Hostess Twinkies - Leite's Culinaria

DIY Hostess Twinkies - TODAY

DIY Hostess Twinkies - Instructables  

Zingers

DIY Hostess Zingers - Just A Pinch

Chocolate Cupcakes

DIY Hostess Chocolate Cupcakes - NY Times

DIY Hostess Chocolate Cupcakes - Babble

DIY Hostess Chocolate Cupcakes - A Fridge Full Of Food

Ring Dings

DIY Hostess (Drake's) Ring Dings - Beantown Baker

DIY Hostess (Drake's) Ding DongsSheKnows Food

Devil Dogs

DIY Hostess (Drake's) Devil Dogs - The Pioneer Woman

Sno Balls

DIY Hostess Sno Balls - From Away

Ho-Hos

DIY Hostess Ho-Hos - Babble

Suzy Q's

DIY Hostess Suzy Q's - Love & Flour

Fruit Pies

DIY Hostess Fruit Pie - The Cooking Photographer


Also take a look at this Little Debbie/Hostess Recipe Pinterest Board. If you find more recipes out there, let me know and I'll add them to the list.



Anali's First Amendment © 2006-2012. All rights reserved.
This Post’s Link
Subscribe to blog posts. Follow me on Twitter. Join me on Facebook.

Shopping on Amazon today? Please consider starting here and help this blog.

Comments

Many, many thanks for such a swell list of recipes and for including Leite's Culinaria on it. We greatly appreciate it....
Lisa Johnson said…
renee - You're quite welcome! Thanks for stopping by. : )

Popular Posts