Decorate: Boston



"Your home should tell the story of who you are, and be a collection of what you love brought together under one roof." ~ Nate Berkus

I really like this quote. Maybe it's the Virgo in me, but ever since I was a kid, having comfortable neat surroundings has always been very important to me.

My mom tells me that once when I was very young, a friend came over to play and really messed up my room. I was not happy and wouldn't go to sleep until we cleaned it up. She also says that one summer we stayed in a house near to where my father was teaching. The curtains in my room had really big flowers that totally freaked me out and she had to take them down.

As a teenager, I would paint my room different colors, change the curtains, add area rugs and do different things with design to make my room better reflect me and what I wanted.

Since I rent, there are only so many things that I can do with my apartment now. Sadly no painting. But overall, it's a comfortable space that I've been able to transform it into something that relects my personality. I've had people say when they walk in for the first time, that it's very artsy and comfortable. That makes me feel great!

The older I get, the more I realize that I have a very creative nature. Color, texture, smell, and light are all things that I think about in my home. As I started reading more blogs, I found myself drawn to many design blogs like decor8.


Since I've been reading it for years, I was really excited when I learned that the blogger behind it, Holly Becker, was writing a book and would going on tour. Her first stop was Boston, because she lived in this area most recently before becoming an expat and moving to Germany with her husband.

Hearing her speak about design from a professional point of view was quite interesting. Getting into the mind of a designer and seeing how the planning happens isn't something that most of us are privy to. I bought her book and am looking forward to going through it for more inspiration.

I'm noticing more about what attracts my eye. Some things that I like take me by surprise. Does that ever happen to you?

Several years ago, I went to a writing retreat, which was held at the instructor's home. I absolutely was in love with the way she designed her house! She had all these different colored rugs, prayer flags, art on the walls, pottery, plants. Lots of layering.

As much as I had thought I was all about the neutrals and simplicity, that was more in my head, but not in my heart. I like a combination of the two. Funny how that happens.


After Holly spoke, there were some snacks for us to munch on. Although, people didn't seem to eat much. It was a bit of a different crowd than food bloggers. But it was a pretty spread and I have some nice photos to use for later.

If you're interested in seeing more about the Boston event, take a look at the recap on decor8 and you can follow along as she blogs about the different stops that she's made on her book tour: Chicago, San Francisco, and Los Angeles. Now she's on her way to to Philadelphi and New York. So if you're there and want to go, you might be able to drop by!


Anali's First Amendment © 2006-2011. All rights reserved.
This Post’s Link
Subscribe to blog posts. Follow me on Twitter. Join me on Facebook.

Comments

Popular Posts