Esperanza Spalding

Flickr photo by Andrea Mancini
Concerto del 15 luglio 2009 a Fiesole - Firenze


Esperanza Spalding became a lot more mainstream since she won the Grammy for Best New Artist. A first for a jazz artist. What a win!

And there are serious brains behind the beauty. Spalding got her GED at 16 years old, left high school and enrolled in the music program at Portland State University.

Things weren't working out especially well there, so Spalding moved across the country to attend Berklee College of Music in Boston. By age 20, not only had she already graduated, she was hired as an instructor at Berklee.

For those of you in the Portland area, Spalding will be heading back to Portland State University next Thursday, February 24th. She'll be performing free for students as part of the weekly noon concert series and will be teaching a master class as well.

I'm still learning about Spalding's music and loving it! I'm seeding a new Pandora station with her music to listen to while I bake my first crostata.

I hope you're all enjoying the long weekend!

*Updated 8/25/2012* I had to update this post. Since I wrote it, while I was in line at Starbucks one day, I saw her CD and bought it. Love it! There were actually two CDs in the package, so I have one in my car, one near my home stereo, and I uploaded it onto my computer. So I can listen to her at all times! Take a look at this video below. You'll be glad that you did!


Anali's First Amendment © 2006-2011. All rights reserved.
This Post’s Link
Subscribe to blog posts. Follow me on Twitter.

Comments

Popular Posts