Wollaston Theatre Update


*Updated 6/28/2016* 
Very sad news. See most recent post about the Wollaston Theatre demolition. 💣

+ + + 

In March 2007, I wrote this post about Wollaston Theatre. This post has been one of the most visited on this blog. There is an enormous interest in the preservation of this wonderful theater.

I've received comments from people all over the country with fond memories and wonderful stories. The website Cinema Treasures has an ongoing conversation about the theater and from there, I found a short documentary film called A Tale of Two Cinemas. The film compares Wollaston Theatre and Coolidge Corner Theatre.

I love the Coolidge Corner area in general and have seen many movies in that theater. It would be nice to be able to enjoy seeing a movie right in my own neighborhood though. It's really sad to see how the Wollaston Theatre looks in comparison. The film makers did a good job showing the stark contrast between the two theaters.

Based on what I've been reading, my curiosity got the better of me today. I did a quick search and found a short post called The End of an Era on the blog Photo Away. The blogger had taken a recent picture of the theater with the for sale sign. I was able to click on the image and find the realtor information.

I decided to call them and see what I could find out. I spoke to Ron Geddes and was told that the Wollaston Theatre is "Under agreement to a group. It will be preserved and restored as a theater."

That is great news! Mr. Geddes could not tell me much more than that, but I will be following up. It may be the end of an era for the Wollaston Theatre, but it looks like a new era is about to begin.


Anali's First Amendment © 2006-2008. All rights reserved.
This Post's Link

Comments

Anonymous said…
This is great news!

And thank you for your kind words about our documentary!
Anonymous said…
That's great that it will continue on as a theater!
lpat said…
Cool! I was worried about what was going to happen to it.
Lisa Johnson said…
justin fielding - Thanks for stopping by and for the great film! ; )

twenty four at heart - I'm really looking forward to being able to go there again. I hope it doesn't take too long!

lpat - Welcome! Nice blog that you have there. I'm so glad you had that photo there. Thanks!
Anonymous said…
http://www.boston.com/news/local/articles/2008/12/18/quincy_theater_may_get_a_grand_second_act/

~steveo
Lisa Johnson said…
steveo - Welcome! Thanks for the link. I did see this article before and am looking forward to more good news.

Popular Posts