Remember That San Francisco Treat?

Rice-A-Roni! I still have that jingle in my head from decades ago as a child. We didn't have Rice-A-Roni often at home, because my mom mostly cooked everything from scratch. I think we had it a few times, but I don't recall the taste that much. It's mostly the television commercial in my head with happy smiling people riding the cable cars. It made me want to visit San Francisco, which I did actually. A few years ago. But I still haven't been on one of those cable cars.

Why am I writing about this? Not so coincidentally, NPR's series Hidden Kitchens by The Kitchen Sisters has the story of Rice-A-Roni called Birth Of Rice-A-Roni: The Armenian-Italian Treat. Here is a portion below.

When the DeDomenicos moved into a place of their own, Lois often cooked Mrs. Captanian's Armenian pilaf. At a family dinner one evening, after a long day at the pasta factory, Tom's brother Vince stared at his dish of pilaf and said, "This would be great in a box."
Check out the whole story here.

Anali's First Amendment © 2006-2008. All rights reserved.

This Post's Link

Comments

We never had it often either, but when we did, I remember liking it. I'll be checking out that NPR story, Anali. Thanks!
Liz Dwyer said…
I've never ever eaten it but I definitely remember the commercials. They were so catchy. How interesting to know a little more about the history of it.
Lisa Johnson said…
susan from food blogga - You're welcome!

los angelista - I don't think we will EVER forget that jingle!
amisha said…
this is fascinating... thank you for sharing!

Popular Posts