1. Pick up the nearest book.
2. Open to page 123.
3. Find the fifth sentence.
4. Post the next three sentences.
I have a bunch of books next to me, but the one at the top of the pile is the one that I have been planning to write a post on for months. I loved this book and a post with special commentary will be coming up soon!
The book is A Clearing In The Distance, by Witold Rybczynski - the biography of Frederick Law Olmstead.
"After leaving New Orleans, he visited several more plantations, among them that of Meredith Calhoun, one of the largest cotton growers in the South, who owned fifteen thousand acres and more than seven hundred slaves. Olmstead spent two days there, interviewing both Calhoun and his overseers. Olmstead had originally intended to proceed up the Red River to Texas, but various exasperating delays--and lost luggage--caused him to cut short his western excursion."
Here are my answers for The Fives Meme.
FIVE YEARS AGO, I WAS...
1. Still in my 30's.
2. Soon to be laid off from my full-time job.
3. Loving writing book reviews freelance like this one.
4. Unaware of blogging.
5. Enjoying my new apartment.
FIVE SNACKS I ENJOY
IF I WAS A BILLIONAIRE, I WOULD...
1. Quit my job.
2. Pay off all my debt - especially my student loans!
3. Pay off debt of family and friends and give them money.
4. Buy a gorgeous loft condo in downtown Boston.
5. Start a charity and do lots of good things.
SOME JOBS I HAVE HAD
1. Telephone Operator
3. Marketing Research
DIFFERENT PLACES I HAVE LIVED
I've only lived in Massachusetts.
I'm not going to tag anyone to do these memes, but please feel free to take either of these up if you would like.
And last, but not least, I received another Nice Matters Award. Thank you Susan!
Anali's First Amendment © 2006-2008. All rights reserved.
This Post's Link
Print this post