The Great Debaters

Original photo found here.

Yesterday, I saw The Great Debaters with some friends. This is the latest Denzel Washington movie, which he both acted in and directed. The Great Debaters also stars Forest Whitaker. It was wonderful seeing them together. The entire cast is incredible and was produced by Harpo Films.

What can you say about a movie that moves you to both sad and happy tears, lifts you up, steals your breath away, and leaves you all standing in the theater lobby for a half an hour unable to leave because there are so many things to talk about? What are the words? Academy Awards.

We all know Denzel can act, but did you know what an amazing Director he is? If you haven't already, see The Great Debaters and Antwone Fisher. Both are based on true stories, which make you feel the strength of the human spirit. I'll be buying the DVD when it's released.




Anali's First Amendment © 2006-2007. All rights reserved.

This Post's Link

Comments

Anonymous said…
I loved Denzel in 'American Gangsters'. He's such a wonderful actor!
This is on my TO SEE list! Thanks for the tip. :-)
Denzel Washington is one of my favourite actors... when I was younger I used to be in love with him, hehe :)
I will definitely see this movie, especially that was directed also by him.
Anonymous said…
It has been 48 hours since I walked out of the theater, and I still have trouble finding the words to truly convey the conviction I feel to touch every young person (black, white, whatever), to pull them back from the influences that will make them sell themselves short. Being of African American descent, I feel such a weight on me to do my part to persuade those in my sphere of influence to ascribe to saving their “righteous minds.” thanks, Oprah and Denzel.
Lisa Johnson said…
zen chef - You will love it!

coffee & vanilla - Oh, I think many of us are still a little in love with him! ; )

anonymous - Welcome! Thank you so much for this wonderful comment. You've said it so eloquently that I can't really add to it. Please do come by again!
Unknown said…
The movie, Great Debaters is one of the best that I've ever seen. I shared the experience with my 72-year old mother and 14-year old daughter while on west coast vacation last week. Truly a wonderful movie...

peace, Villager
Lisa Johnson said…
villager - Welcome! Thank you for stopping by! I agree about the movie. It's great for different generations to see together. When I was leaving the theater, a man leaving said that his mother had been on the debate team. It was pretty amazing! And thanks for adding me to the list. ; )
amisha said…
i saw the great debaters on christmas with the family and *loved* it. i have to say i was skeptical before going in, because i wondered if it would be too sentimental, but my doubts disappeared... denzel was fantastic, and i thought the movie did an incredible job with the racial and class politics at the time (i was really interested in the exploration of class organizing as a possible way to deal with racial tensions). and that final scene... i had tears in my eyes too! so good. then a week later i saw american gangster and could not get over denzel suddenly being the bad guy :)
Lisa Johnson said…
amisha - I agree that the labor and union organizing components were great additions to the film, because they are such important issues.

I'll probably rent "American Gangster" eventually, but I don't have the same excitement for it. I don't like seeing him play the bad guy! : ) Although I listened to him being interview on NPR by Terry Gross and they played some segments from the movie. I am a bit more curious now.

Popular Posts