Boston Legal - Food Blogger Edition


I'm seeing improvements in this city. The last time that I was on Cambridge Street was in the winter. If I recall correctly, the street was not very user friendly. Then again, snow and ice can do that. I really don't think it's just the change of seasons though. This is a great little area now. The street seems wider. My good parking karma is back and I found an out of order meter close to where I wanted to be.



While I was walking, I saw this cute little flower shop and some restaurants that definitely warrant a return visit. I snapped this one picture, but had to hurry, because I was late. I was on my way to meet BipolarLawyerCook, who you may have seen here before. Check out her blog if you haven't already and see her take on our blogmeet. She's another Boston area attorney who loves to cook and blog. This is our second time getting together and we decided to try a new little bakery cafe called The Spotted Apron. To protect her anonymity, I'll refer to her as BPLC.



The Spotted Apron is the cutest little place! When I first read about it and checked out the website, I was won over with all the polka dots and the beautiful food pictures. I had some coffee and the Pain Aux Raisins. Perfection!



We had a great time catching up, eating our food, people watching, and generally enjoying the pleasant ambiance. It was sunny and bright. The place was really busy, but there are a lot of tables for sitting and hanging out. Many people seemed to be having meetings there. Others sat with their laptops or reading.

The menu includes not only a ton of baked goods, but empanadas, quiche, panini, sandwiches, soups, and salad. Plus, they are open Monday through Saturday, from 6:30 in the morning to 10:00 in the evening, so it's easy to find a time to stop by.



Now, I really do love this place, but I did have a few disappointments. Where I work, there are hardly any places open on the weekends, so I decided to buy something for my lunch and take it to go. I bought the Waldorf Tuna Salad Sandwich and a Red Velvet Cupcake. I usually make my lunch and bring it to work, so I don't mind spending a little extra when I do splurge and buy something. The sandwich was $6.85 and the cupcake was $3.35. I couldn't afford it too often, but for a treat, I thought it was reasonable. However, the sandwich had no mayonnaise and was really dry. It was not pleasant. I know that I'm really picky when it comes to tuna, but usually the issue is that there is too much mayonnaise, but none was a bit odd. Maybe you have to special order it?

I had planned to get a piece of quiche, but they appear to only have one type a day. They were serving ham, so I couldn't eat it. It would have been nice if they had a vegetable alternative. The cupcake was beautiful and they packed it in a little covered cup, so it didn't get messed up. The flavor was okay, but I can't honestly rave about it. Even with these issues, which were pretty small, I recommend going to The Spotted Apron and I'll be going back too!



And I want to thank BPLC for her wonderful company and the flowers! There were beautiful sunflowers on the table when I walked in. And lo and behold, they were for me! It's been a rough few weeks and they did cheer me up. I guess by now, just about everyone knows that I love sunflowers.




Anali's First Amendment © 2006-2007. All rights reserved.
Shopping on Amazon today? Please consider starting here and help this blog.

Comments

Cynthia said…
It is a pleasure to have good friends and company to break bread with, share a laugh, rant, whine... you get the drift. :)
Big Boys Oven said…
looks like a good recommendation, it will definitely a place that I would go for....a cuppa of coffee and a slice of cake!
Tera said…
You always have the best photos in your posts!
Your photos came out wonderfully! I'm sorry to hear your tuna sandwich was disappointing. The quiche (ham and asparagus) was very tasty, but you're right, if you're only going to have one of something, it should be something everyone can eat-- either that, or have a second "universal" option. A goat cheese and asparagus quiche would have been right up your alley.

The carrot cake I brought home was very good, too. The Better Half ate there today while waiting on his Mom at the hospital, and said their cookies were ok, nothing special, but that the chocolate cupcakes were good, and that the manchego & ham panini was really good. I'll supplement your photos and some additional observations when I get my photo CD back on wednesday. Great post!
Anonymous said…
Beautifuls photos !!!! And I'm hungry!!!! I love muffins
Kiss
jac said…
Lovely flower shop, I liked the look.
suttonhoo said…
so tasty good.
Lisa Johnson said…
cynthia - Yes I do! ; )

big boys oven - I would so love to be able to try one of your cakes!

tera - Thank you!

bipolarlawyercook - Can't wait to see your photos!

pom d'api - Thanks! I love muffins too!

jac - Thank you! I couldn't resist taking the photo even though I had to wait for people to walk by!

suttonhoo - Thanks!
CapCity said…
i agree w/ tera...not only are your photos the best - they're mouth watering! i gain a pound every time i visit;-)...lol!
Rasa Malaysia said…
This looks like such a quite and cozy place...I love the plate they serve their food..cute.
Isn't that just the sweetest name for a bakery? I love it!
Lisa Johnson said…
jeena - Welcome! Thank you so much for the compliment! I'll be stopping by your blog soon!

capcity - Thank you so much! Imagine the calories in real life! ; )

rasa malaysia - Welcome! It was really cozy and makes me want to go shopping for polka dotted plates!

susan - The name got me too! I'm so susceptible to good marketing!
The pain aux raisins looks so good!!(as I drink my water and sink into my low carb unhappiness)
Lisa Johnson said…
xcentric pryncess - Welcome! Cool name by the way! It was really tasty and I hope you treat yourself to a few carbs every once in a while!
amisha said…
beautiful sunflowers! and it sounds like so much fun to hang out with a fellow foodie lawyer blogger. hope one day i can share a cupcake and quiche with you! :)
Lisa Johnson said…
amisha - Thank you! It was really fun! I hope we can get together too. Now that your up North, it wouldn't be too difficult! ; )

Popular Posts