Sunday, November 12, 2006

Adaptation: Pumpkin-Walnut Bread

If you have not seen it already, I highly recommend seeing the movie Adaptation. Meryl Streep, Chris Cooper, and Nicholas Cage are in it, which tells the quality of the film. And I just realized that Spike Jonze directed it. Long story short, this movie shows the painstaking process of adapting a book into a screenplay.

About now you are probably saying to yourself, "Anali, what does that movie have to do with this tantalizing bread that I'm feasting my eyes upon?"

Well, a lot more than you might think. I wanted to make something with pumpkin tonight, so searched for some recipes. I found this muffin recipe on and adapted it.

A couple of the changes were because I realized I didn't have some ingredients in the house. Usually I always have molasses on hand and I thought I had purchased some cloves. Unfortunatley, when I looked in my cabinets and spice rack, they were not there, so I added some more pumpkin to make up for the moisture of the molasses and more sugar to substitute for the sweetness. I added more of the other spices to compensate for the lack of cloves.

I used brown whole-wheat flour instead of white. I don't buy regular milk or buttermilk, I use vanilla rice milk. I increased the amount of milk to add some additional moisture because of the wheat flour. I added a little bit of baking powder* to make up for the denseness of the flour. I was a little nervous with this change, because I was messing with the science, which can cause problems with baking.

And I decided that I didn't want muffins, but would prefer a loaf, so I changed the cooking time to 50 minutes. I'm happy to report that the changes worked! This bread is pretty good. I randomly bought dates and walnuts yesterday, so the recipe wasn't as far off as it could have been. The dates added some nice sweetness and texture that I found quite pleasant. I probably could have used raisins instead, but I like dates, in both senses of the word. And with that, let me share with you my newly adapted recipe.

Pumpkin-Walnut Bread

1/2 cup butter (1 stick)
1 cup canned pumpkin
3/4 cup vanilla rice milk
2 large eggs
1 tsp. vanilla

1 cup whole-wheat flour
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt

1 tsp. ground ginger
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
1 tsp. ground nutmeg
1 cup brown sugar
3/4 cup chopped pitted dates
3/4 cup chopped walnuts

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

Melt butter and combine all ingredients. Pour mixture into a greased and floured loaf pan. Bake for 50 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean. Cool for a few minutes before removing from pan.

* I just realized that I read part of the original recipe wrong. There was supposed to be 1 and 1/2 tsp. baking powder. I completely missed seeing that before. So my adding what I thought was extra baking powder is probably what saved this recipe from being a disaster. Whew!

Share/Bookmark Print this post


vasilisa said...

This looks so yummy! There is something so comforting about baking bread, isn't there? Especially this time of year. And yours looks fantastic!

PS: Thanks for the link! Linking right back :-)

avila said...

i read all the comments on Adaptation and tomorow i'm going to get one. Thanks for the link.

and Pumpkin-walnut bread, is something i will learn to bake for christmas =D

Anali said...

vasilisa - Comforting is the perfect way to describe it. It is that exactly. Thank you!

avila - I think you'll really like the movie and the bread will be great for Christmas!

Anne Bucoy said...

i never like anything tat goes with pumpkin, but this bread looks tasty....maybe i should change my mind ;)

samuru999 said...

Hi Anali
Thanks for this recipe...
I am going to make it!
It looks so YUMMY!

Take care!


Jeff said...

Anali, that looks TOO damn good!

Lotus Reads said...

Mmmmmmmm, Anali, this bread really does look delicious! Funnily enough, I made Banana Nut bread yesterday and it was such a hit with my normally hard-to-please children that I resolved to try making a variety of breads for their teatime snack - your pumpkin bread recipe will come in very handy, thanks!

Dotm said...

Pumpkin-walnu bad, it sounds delicious.
Thanks for dropping by my blog.

Dezel said...

Hi Anali,

That looks yummy; like I said # 3 of the Wonder Years, really paid off for you!

Keep up the good work : )


Anali said...

anne bucoy - I think you might be pleasantly surprised with the taste of pumpkin!

samuru999 - You're welcome Margie! Tell me how it comes out!

jeff - Thank you!

lotus reads - Good timing! I hope they will like it and you too!

dotm - You're quite welcome!

dezel - Awwww... Thanks! : )

Disclaimer: Nothing stated on Anali's First Amendment should be construed as legal advice. No attorney client relationships have been formed on this blog. © 2006-2016. Anali's First Amendment/Lisa C. Johnson. All rights reserved. Do not use writing or photographs without permission.